Study Abroad at UCL
Study abroad students are welcomed to the Department every year, with the option to stay for one, two or all three terms.
As one of the largest and most successful Geography departments in the UK, you will be taught by some of the world’s best Geographers.
As a study abroad student you will:
- Study alongside home and international students, benefiting from UCL's world-class teaching and renowned academics;
- Have the flexibility to take courses across a range of UCL subjects and departments, tailoring your course to your own particular interests in this area;
- Have access to your own academic tutor (known as an ‘Affiliate Tutor’);
- Be encouraged to integrate into UCL student life, with access to events, societies and clubs both within your department and across UCL as a whole;
- Benefit from the prime London location and resources through the surrounding libraries, museums and institutes.
The Department of Geography welcomes students majoring in Geography, Political Science, Liberal Arts, Anthropology and Sociology and this reflects the breadth of courses taught in the Department. Almost every course is open to JYA/exchange students, but some are limited to Geography affiliates only. Courses that have proved particularly popular with affiliates in the past include: London: a Geographical Introduction; Development Geography; Urban Geography and Political Geography and Geopolitics.
The Department has a dedicated Affiliate Tutor and all Affiliate students receive individual advice on their programmes of study and also more general advice on settling into student life at UCL and adapting to any differences in teaching and examination methods between the UK and their home institution. In addition to weekly lectures, the department has tutorial classes specifically for JYA/exchange students, to offer course support.
Modules of study
A full list of modules available to Undegraduate and Graduate students can be found using the links below.
The vast majority of JYA/exchange students maintain or improve their GPAs during their period at the Department. As students admitted to the Department for the fall term only are unable to sit the end-of-year examinations in the summer term, these students will be assessed in each Geography course by essays totalling 4,000 - 4,500 words submitted at the end of their studies in December. Students studying January to June will take examinations where these are part of the course assessment.
If you are a Geography JYA/Affiliate/Socrates/Erasmus student, you MUST register your course choices with the Affiliate Tutor Dr Alan Latham in his office, G19 Pearson Building during the first week of the term. The exact dates and times will be available shortly.
When you register you will receive a Geography booklet, which includes important information i.e. about coursework deadlines and examination information.
If you are studying at UCL for the for the first term only, please ensure that you register for codes GEOG****A
For further information on studying in the Department contact our Affiliate Tutor, Dr Alan Latham.
- UCL Study Abroad Pages (admission, term dates, fees and application form)
- Study Abroad Guide (information on UCL's study abroad programme)
We look forward to welcoming you at UCL.