Paying for lab work – Consumables forms
- Before starting work in the laboratory, the lab user must ensure that sufficient funds are available to cover the costs of any consumable items used. Usually there will be a project-specific grant code.
- The user will be expected to provide details of this code when booking the lab.
- While carrying out the work the user should make a note of all items used – forms are available for this.
- The completed form should be returned to the lab supervisor when the work has been completed
- If a form is not submitted within a week of completion of the work, the grant code will be charged at the maximum rate for the work being carried out.
2.1 Special items
If an item is requested that is not usually kept in stock and therefore has to ordered specifically, the user will be asked for a grant code to charge the order against.
This will usually be charged at the time of the order, not on completion of the work and these items do not have to be listed on the consumable request form.
However, any items ordered that are not used may be returned to stock and the user reimbursed. Future requests for the item should then be added to the consumable form.