Department of Geography,
University College London,
Tel: 020 7679 0523
- 1992-1996 - PhD ‘Predicting surface water critical loads at the catchment scale’
- 1987-1990 - BSc (Hons) Geography (Upper second)
Post Graduation Employment:
- 2011 - Environmental Change Reseach Centre (ECRC), UCL - Principal Research Fellow
- 2002 - 2011 Environmental Change Research Centre (ECRC), - Senior Research Fellow
- 1996 - 2002 Environmental Change Research Centre (ECRC), - Research Fellow
- 1990 - 1991 and Science - Senior Assistant Statistician
- 1991 - 1992 - Senior Assistant Statistician
Click here for Publications.
- The degradation and subsequent recovery of aquatic ecosystems from acidification.
- The effects of atmospheric pollution and climate change on the physico-chemical status, ecology and biodiversity of mountain lakes.
- The impacts of climate change on freshwater ecosystems and the interactions between these and the effects of other stresses.
- The use of adaptation strategies to manage freshwaters in the face of changing climate.
- Knowledge transfer and the science-policy interface.
Martin has been invited to sit on a number of working groups and networks with a focus on climate change impacts on freshwaters. He was an invited expert on the European Environment Agency’s (EEA) EIONET network of national experts in support of sharing data and assessment of climate change vulnerability, impacts and adaptation practices. He subsequently contributed to the Science-Policy Interface Working Group A (ECOSTAT – Ecological status) concerning Water Framework Directive implementation. He was an invited expert on the Advisory Group on the EEA 2012 State of Water Report which subsequently fed into the Blueprint to safeguard Europe's water resources. He is currently an invited international expert with the Centre for Regional Change in the Earth System (CRES), Denmark and the Australian National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF).
- 2012: Lecturer - MSc in Aquatic Science (Module on Impacts of Climate Change on Hydroecological Systems).
- Convenor for Lakes Module of MSc in Freshwater and Coastal Sciences
- Co-leader on Numerical Analysis of Biological and Environmental Data, a Recognised Short Course for MSc and PhD students
- Running 2nd year undergraduate numerical analysis practicals (3 years)
- 2nd year undergraduate tutorial groups
- Tutorials for ERASMUS/external students:
- Environmental Change
- Transport Geography
- Geography of London
- Demonstrating on
- Geomorphology practical classes
- Geomorphology field class
- Biogeography field classes
- 1st year field classes
- Ad hoc statistical advice to Masters and PhD student
- Organised and chaired weekly ECRC research seminars (1996-1997)
- Creation of database of digitised catchments and collation of related data from numerous sources
- Member of DETR CLAM freshwaters sub-group
- Responsible for dissemination of statistical developments within ECRC
- Group secretary and project administration, DETR Critical Loads Freshwaters Group
- Secretary and project administration ED Freshwaters Group
- Steering group member EMERGE Framework V Project
- Member of ECRC Research Development Group
- Member of ECRC Management Group
- Group secretary and project administration, DEFRA Freshwaters Umbrella
- Member of editorial board The Official Journal of the Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management Society
- Invited Expert – EIONET workshop on climate change vulnerability, impacts and adaptation, EEA, Copenhagen, Nov 2007
- Invited expert, Australian National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility - Adaptation Research Network on Water Resources and Freshwater Biodiversity.
- Invited expert, Centre for Regional Change in the Earth System (CRES), Denmark.
- Invited expert, Advisory group on European Environment Agency (EEA) 2012 state of water report (SoWater).
- Invited expert contributing to the Science-Policy Interface (SPI) activity Working Group A (ECOSTAT - Ecological status) concerning Water Framework Directive Implementation 2012